Austin Shelter for Women & Children
The Austin Shelter for Women and Children is a comprehensive program that includes 24 hr. emergency shelter for homeless women and children, on-site supportive services and linkage to long-term housing and case management resources. The shelter has approximately 60 beds with 6 beds reserved for adult single women without children.
The Salvation Army’s goal as operator of the program is to provide “wrap-around” services designed to assist homeless women in attaining and maintaining self-sufficiency. Objectives focus on obtaining safe and stable housing, income necessary to support housing and personal stability. A high priority is placed on children’s services which include licensed child care, child/family therapy, after-school tutoring and transportation to local schools. Shelter clients may stay in shelter 30-90 days while working on their self-sufficiency goals with their assigned case manager.
- 30 to 90 days shelter stay
- Individual family rooms
- 3 meals a day
- Hygiene, clothing, and infant supplies
- Bus Passes and transportation assistance
Short Term Self Sufficiency Services
- Direct financial assistance outside childcare, legal documents, work related expenses, utilities, rent and deposit, and health.
- On Site Licensed Daycare Children Ages 18-60 months
- Bus Passes and shelter van transportation
- Life skills groups and computer lab
- Initial Mental Health and Substance Abuse Assessments for all adult residents.
- Individual, family, group counseling, children’s groups.
- Summer Camp, after school activities, tutoring with certified teacher
Long Term Self Sufficiency Services
- Referrals to transitional housing programs (St. Louise and SafePlace Supportive Housing programs)
- Referrals to Passages Program for 6-24 months long term casemanagent.
- Referals to the Austin Housing Authority Tenant Base Rental Assistance Program
4523 Tannehill Lane
Austin, TX 78721-1732